Tyre Puncture Repairs
One thought runs through everyone’s mind when they get a tyre puncture, “will I need a new tyre or can it be repaired?”
We are able to carry out tyre puncture repairs to most car tyres granting them many more miles of use for a fraction of the cost of a new tyre. After carrying out an inspection of the tyre to ensure a repair is possible, as aspects such as the location and severity of the puncture as well as the history and condition of the tyre will determine if it is possible to be repaired, any repairs will be carried out to British standard BSAU159.
What are the signs of a puncture?
As a tyre puncture isn’t always noticeable right after it has happened and your tyre may not look flat, here are some signs to always be on the look out for:
- A sharp object such as a nail/screw may be visibly stuck in the tyre’s tread.
- You might notice that your car is pulling to the left or right of its own accord. If you feel this whilst driving along a safe, flat length of road it could be a sign of a puncture.
- You may feel the steering wheel vibrating which can intensify when travelling at higher speeds, this is due to unbalanced tyre pressures.
- The car may start to feel sluggish with regards to the steering and acceleration due to the increased surface area between the tyre and the road causing more friction.
What can cause a puncture to begin with?
There are a number of factors that could lead to a tyre puncture, here are some of the most common causes:
- Sharp pieces of debris, usually things such as nails, screws and glass can unfortunately sometimes end up lying in the road and on occasion these pieces of debris can pierce your tyre causing a slow puncture.
- Roads that are of a poor condition, referring mainly to the presence of potholes. If these are hit with enough force they can cause significant damage to tyres, rims and other car components.
- Tyre valve stems can over time become damaged through wear and tear or other means. As this is the point where a tyre is normally inflated/deflated any damage can cause air to leak out.