Can I scrap my car without a V5C logbook?

Can I scrap my car without a V5C logbook?

When it comes time to part ways with your old vehicle, you might be wondering whether you can scrap your car without a V5C logbook. The V5C logbook, also known as a V5, logbook or vehicle registration document, is an essential document that provides information about the registered keeper of the vehicle and other various details. However, there are situations where you might not have the V5C logbook in your possession. In this article, we’ll explore whether you can scrap your car without a V5C logbook and what steps you need to take.

Understanding the V5C Logbook:

The V5C logbook is an essential document that contains information about the registered keeper of a vehicle. It includes details like the vehicle’s registration number, VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), make and model, and other important registration information. While the V5C logbook is often associated with vehicle ownership, it’s important to note that it does not serve as absolute proof of ownership.

The V5C also has various forms that can be filled out for various purposes such as:

  1. Changing your vehicle details
  2. Selling or transferring your vehicle to a new keeper (not a trader)
  3. Changing your name and / or address
  4. Selling, transferring or part exchanging your vehicle to a motor trader
  5. Permanently exporting your vehicle for more than 12 months
  6. New keeper slip – must be given to the new keeper

Scrapping Your Car Without a V5C Logbook:

Contrary to common belief, you can still scrap your car even if you don’t have the V5C logbook. While the V5C logbook is a convenient way to demonstrate your connection to the vehicle, it is not the only method of proving ownership. Here’s what you need to consider:

  1. Alternative Proof of Ownership: To scrap your car without a V5C logbook, you’ll need to provide alternative proof of ownership. This can include:
    • Receipt or Bill of Sale: A receipt or bill of sale from a legitimate transaction can help establish your ownership of the vehicle.
    • Insurance Documents: Insurance policies in your name for the vehicle can also be used as evidence of ownership.
    • Documentation from the DVLA: Correspondence or documentation from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) regarding the vehicle’s registration can help establish your connection to the car.
  2. Valid Photo ID: You will also be asked to provide photographic proof of identity to prove your connection to the documents and the car.
  3. Inform the DVLA: Just as with scrapping a car with a V5C logbook, you need to inform the DVLA that you’re scrapping your vehicle. This can only be done by writing a letter to the DVLA informing them that you have sold your vehicle for scrap. DVLA will not accept phone calls! In your letter you should include;
    • Your full name
    • Address
    • The vehicle’s make, model and registration number
    • The date of the transaction
    • The motor trader’s name, address and VAT number
  4. Choose a Licensed ATF: Regardless of the proof of ownership you provide, it’s important to use a licensed Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) to scrap your car. Licensed ATFs follow legal and environmental regulations for vehicle scrapping, and they can issue a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) once the process is complete.

It is possible to purchase a replacement logbook from the DVLA at a cost of £25, however for the purposes of scrapping a vehicle, this is not necessary. All you have to do is write to the DVLA to inform them where you have scrapped your vehicle to – all for the price of a stamp.

What our customers say

How To Contact Us!

Please call us on 01543 428080 and choose one of the following options :-

Option 1 – Accounts & Self Storage Container Rentals
Option 2 – Scrap A Car & Scrap Vehicle Enquiries
Option 3 – Scrap Metal & Skip Enquiries
Option 4 – Tyre Bay & Sales Cars

8am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday & 9am to 3:30pm Saturdays


Chase Metal Recycling Ltd