What Documents Do You Need to Scrap a Car?

What Documents Do You Need to Scrap a Car?

Scrapping a car can feel like a daunting process, but it doesn’t have to be! At Chase Metal Recycling, we aim to make this process as smooth and hassle-free as possible. Whether your car has reached the end of its life, failed its MOT, or you’re just looking to clear up some space, we’ve got you covered. Here’s everything you need to know about the documents required to scrap your car in the UK.

Why Do You Need Documents to Scrap a Car?

You might be wondering why paperwork is necessary to scrap a car. The UK has strict laws and regulations to ensure vehicles are disposed of responsibly, avoiding environmental harm and preventing vehicle-related crimes. Proper documentation ensures your car is scrapped legally and you’re not liable for any future issues.

What Documents Are Required?

Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)

The V5C, commonly known as the logbook, contains crucial information about your vehicle, such as make, model, and registered keeper details. When you scrap your car, you’ll need to fill out section 9 of the V5C and send it to the DVLA. This notifies them that the car has been scrapped and removes your responsibility for it.

What if you don’t have the V5C?
It is still possible to scrap your car, however it requires a bit more effort. If you’ve lost your V5C, you’ll need to prove you’re the vehicle’s owner. This can usually be done with other documents like a bill of sale or a receipt.

Alternatively, you can contact the DVLA and request a replacement V5C for the vehicle. Keep in mind there is usually a small fee associated with this service.

For more information, read our article which goes over this in more detail.

Proof of Identity

You’ll need to provide proof of identity to ensure the transaction is legitimate. Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • Driving licence
  • Passport
  • Utility bill (recent, within the last 3 months)

Certificate of Destruction (CoD)

Once your car has been scrapped, we’ll issue a Certificate of Destruction (CoD). This is an official document from the DVLA that confirms your car has been disposed of correctly and legally, and you are no longer responsible for it.


Do You Need an MOT Certificate?

No, an MOT certificate is not required to scrap a car. Whether your car has an MOT or not, it can still be scrapped.

How to Notify the DVLA

When you scrap your car, notifying the DVLA is straightforward. Fill out section 9 of your V5C and send it to the DVLA. If you don’t have a V5C, you can write to the DVLA with your vehicle details and confirmation that it’s been scrapped.

For more information, read our article which goes over this in more detail.

What Happens to the Remaining Road Tax?

Once the DVLA is notified that your car has been scrapped, they will automatically process a refund for any remaining full months of road tax.

Ready to scrap your car? Contact Chase Metal Recycling today and let’s get started!

What our customers say

How To Contact Us!

Please call us on 01543 428080 and choose one of the following options :-

Option 1 – Accounts & Self Storage Container Rentals
Option 2 – Scrap A Car & Scrap Vehicle Enquiries
Option 3 – Scrap Metal & Skip Enquiries
Option 4 – Tyre Bay & Sales Cars

8am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday & 9am to 3:30pm Saturdays


Chase Metal Recycling Ltd